Today I present to you a traditional Pambazo recipe that will delight your senses and transport you to the streets of Mexico: the irresistible pambazos. Drenched in sauce and accompanied by vibrant ingredients, these stuffed rolls are the result of a unique culinary fusion combining indigenous and Spanish heritage.
It is a soft and spongy white bread, similar to a bolillo, but with the particularity that it is dipped in a chili sauce before being stuffed and cooked.
- Portion for 4 people
- 40 min
- Authentic mexican recipe
- Intermediate difficulty
For the bread:
- 4 bolillos
- 1 cup of guajillo chili sauce (you can find it in Mexican products stores)
- Vegetable oil for frying
For the filling:
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 200 g of Mexican chorizo (you can choose the spicy or mild one according to your preference)
- Salt to taste
For the garnish:
- finely chopped lettuce
- Sour cream or Mexican cream
- shredded fresh cheese
- Thinly sliced red onion
- Hot sauce (optional)
For the filling:
- Start by preparing the filling. In a medium saucepan, boil the potatoes in salted water until tender. Then, drain them and mash them slightly with a fork.
- In a large skillet, cook the chorizo over medium-high heat, breaking it up as it cooks, until it is cooked through. Add the smashed potatoes and mix well. Cook for a few more minutes for the flavors to integrate. Remove from heat and reserve.
For the bolillos:
- Cut the bolillos in half horizontally, creating a kind of «top» and a «bottom». Dip both sides of the bolillos in the guajillo chili sauce, making sure they are well coated.
- Heat a little vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place the bolillos dipped in the sauce with the inside side down. Fry for a few minutes until golden and crisp. Then remove them from the oil and place them on absorbent paper to remove excess fat.
For the pambazo:
- Open the bolillos and fill them generously with the mixture of potatoes and chorizo. Be sure to distribute the filling evenly.
- To serve, add the garnish of lettuce, cream, fresh cheese and purple onion in each pambazo. If you want a little more heat, you can add hot sauce to taste.
Now you can enjoy some delicious homemade pambazos recipe. Serve hot and accompany with a refreshing drink such as agua fresca or a Mexican soda. Enjoy!