Tacos are one of the many best-known Mexican dishes, it’s a dish full of personality and defines the essence of Mexico in its flavor; with only tortilla, meat, vegetables and a very good sauce, it makes its flavor the favorite of thousands. Further from its great flavor, it has an unimaginable amount of combinations that make it unique.
The origins of the magnificent tacos
There are several theories about the origin of the word taco, some say it comes from the Nahuatl word tlahco, which means half or in the middle, others say it comes from the Nahuatl word quauhtaqualli which means tortilla.
There is no exact date of the creation of the taco, but there are two references in pre-Hispanic Mexico. The first is from Moctezuma, who used tortillas as a spoon forming something similar to the taco; the second was that women sent food wrapped in tortillas to men.
Currently, the taco has many variants, each state in Mexico has a representative taco, but the most common consists of a corn tortilla, filled with a stew, onion, cilantro and a good sauce.
The different types of tacos
As already mentioned, there is a great variety of tacos, some that stand out are:
- Taco de pastor: this taco made with corn tortilla accompanied by meat in a sweet and sour marinade with pineapple, onion and cilantro is Mexican but of Lebanese origin, since its cousin is a very similar dish in Libya made of lamb meat.
- Roast beef taco: This taco originates from the north of Mexico and is widely consumed by the inhabitants of these areas. Roast beef is a ritual for those from the north, who like a good roast beef taco accompanied by chili peppers, onions, and roasted nopales.
- Cochinita pibil taco: cochinita pibil is a typical dish from Yucatan, a state in the south of Mexico. Its great versatility and flavor make it a great taco or torta, accompanied by a sauce made of red onion and habanero makes it a great dish.
- Taco de canasta: typical of central Mexico, the taco de canasta is a sweaty taco that can vary in flavor between beans or potato and its tortilla is bathed in a special marinade that makes it delicious, in addition, it’s a really cheap taco and it is usually consumed in all the streets of Mexico.
- Barbacoa tacos: this taco has ancient origins and comes from San Luis Potosí, it’s made from sheep meat and its flavor is unique and unrepeatable, it’s perfect for hangover mornings or lazy Sundays.
The list goes on and so does the craving, so if you want to experience the flavors of Mexico through a good taco, we recommend you to come and visit us at Señor Lopez, where you will not only receive excellent service and a totally Mexican atmosphere, you will also be able to taste an endless number of Mexican flavors.